Daily Writing Prompt: Timed Writing

A blank sheet of paper can be the most intimidating roadblock to my desire to write.  The fear that the mess of my inky brain will stain a perfect page, or that what I have to say is not worth sharing, can stop me from even beginning.  I give my high school students a writing prompt and 10 minutes to write as we start each class session, and I tell them to: "Just write. Don't judge your words or style, don't be self-critical, put imaginary duct tape on the voice within yourself saying you are not good enough."  The truth is, each of us has experiences worth writing about, either to share with the world, or just to write out and keep for ourselves.  Your life and memories are held in your mind and heart, but they deserve a place on the page as well.  Today, I challenge us to write for a specific amount of time.  Perhaps, start with ten minutes.  Natalie Goldberg in, Writing Down the Bones, encourages writers to open each writing session with stream of consciousness writing.  She also gives some guidelines that I will share below:

1. "Keep your hand moving" (or for those of us here who are in love with typewriters: just keep your fingers typing).

2. "Don't cross out." No editing, and no correction tape.

3. "Don't worry about spelling, punctuation, grammar."

4. "Lose control."  This is my favorite suggestion because it is hardest part for me. I need reminding to give myself permission to let go.

5. "Don't think. Don't get logical."

6. "Go for the jugular." In other words, if something is scary or personal, go for it.

If you're stuck on where to begin, I'd like to encourage you to start with "I remember..." or simply look around the room, or wherever you are writing from, and describe what you see, what you hear, and how you feel.  Once those thoughts get started, see where they lead you.  I tried this a few days ago, and I started with the phrase "I remember."  As I began to describe a childhood game my cousin and I played in my backyard, other long-lost memories came flooding in.  My ten minute timer chimed, and I kept typing and remembering.  What a thrill to give words to those old moments previously locked in a vault of forgotten childhood. 

If you have a good writing session, share with me, I'd love to hear about your progress.  And in the meantime, write on!

Melissa Johnson

Comments

  1. Good advice ... I've been meaning to read Goldberg, thanks for the reminder. Type on and keep up the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts